RAINN - Senior Legislative Policy Counsel
- Washington, DC
The legislative policy counsel will assist with all aspects of RAINN's policy research and development and government relations efforts. The counsel will also help manage RAINN's role as a technical assistance provider for the Justice Department's Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the vice president for public policy, the legislative policy counsel:
- Works collaboratively across federal and state policy teams to provide legislative drafting and legal input for research, drafting and policy memoranda which advance the policy department's goals.
- Works collaboratively across internal divisions within RAINN including communications, research, development, and victim services to provide consistency and expertise on policy and legal issues related to policy work.
- Analyzes draft legislation and policy proposals and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Researches and drafts internal and external memos including fact sheets, talking points, public education materials, position letters and policy briefs related to policy and legislative work.
- Provides expertise on the investigation and prosecution of sexual violence.
- Pursues amicus opportunities including researching and drafting amicus briefs, in collaboration with outside pro-bono counsel.
- Participates in lobbying activities and provides updates on congressional activities.
- Works with pro bono counsel to maintain current databases of state laws pertaining to sexual violence. Develops and implements quality assurance standards for the state law database.
- Recommends and assists in developing, in coordination with internal policy teams, plans for reactive policy work that considers pressing issues and developments in the field of sexual violence.
- Monitors and reports on state legislative and regulatory activities and drafts position papers and statements of support or opposition.
- Researches issues and drafts responses to media inquiries.
- Supports and participates in state and federal lobbying efforts.
- Supports RAINN's work on the Sexual Assault Kit Initiative by attending stakeholder and grantee meetings, developing briefing materials and providing on-site and remote training, technical assistance and support to SAKI sites.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Law degree required.
- Minimum five years of legal practice required. Direct experience with sexual violence prosecutions or legislative experience is strongly preferred.
- Must have a strong commitment to RAINN's mission of supporting survivors and bringing perpetrators to justice and solid knowledge of policy issues affecting sexual violence.
- Exceptional analytical, research and organizational skills a must.
- Must be detail oriented and effectively time manage multiple assignments at once.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to perform with minimal supervision and function well in a cooperative team environment.
- Experience with statistical analysis is a plus, but not required.
- Commitment to RAINN's dual mission of providing trauma-informed and compassionate support to survivors of sexual assault, while also removing barriers to effective prosecution and incarceration of perpetrators.
- Ability to travel as necessary (less than 10%).
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
- Personal integrity, strong ethics and ability to work well as a team are a must.
The following physical activities are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations:
- While performing the duties of this position, the individual is required to walk, sit, possess the manual dexterity sufficient for the operation of a computer/PC; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Must have vision correctable to the level where an individual can operate a computer; visualize text on a computer monitor.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that RAINN staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In order to comply with new requirements for federal contractors, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions, responsibilities and/or requirements.
RAINN offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance, 403(b) retirement savings, paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays including a bonus week, and free access to the building fitness center. RAINN is based in Washington, D.C.
When you work for RAINN, you're joining a team of experts and professionals who stand up for survivors of sexual violence every day. Your job is important -- and so are you! RAINN will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. RAINN is committed to maximizing the diversity of its organization and depends on a diverse staff to carry out its mission, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
TalentBoost is now Ignyte AI.
This job has been posted by Ignyte AI on behalf of RAINN. Ignyte AI is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of Ignyte AI not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Wednesday, May 17, 2023
$90,000 - $100,000