Lead Engineer- Substation
- Augusta, ME
Avangrid is seeking a Lead Engineer- Substation to join their team in their Augusta, ME location.
The engineer will have a central role in developing substation standards for AVANGRID. Write engineering specifications, create and maintain design libraries for substations including specifications and bill of materials. Work independently with only administrative and general direction from supervision. Develop a strong technical knowledge base to serve as technical advisor (SME) for substation design. Follow updates in research and developments taking place in the power industry, through training and industry associations. The engineer will lead teams/projects that solve complex substation equipment/design problems taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. Able to work independently with guidance on only the most complex tasks. Participates and represents AVANGRID on Industry associations. Mentor other employees.
- Proactively identify and perform special projects and studies that innovatively solve unique and complex problems with broad impact to the business. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve unique problems or to improve processes/services.
- Solves complex and unique substation engineering problems. Utilizes a broad prospective to investigate and identify innovative solutions.
- Contribute to the development & execution of Departmental or Divisional strategy. Recognized engineering expert for equipment of extreme importance to AVANGRID and/or the industry. Anticipates internal/external business issues & recommend process improvements.
- Create and maintain design libraries for substations agree with department plan. Develop plan to maintain libraries based on lessons learnt, new practices and industry trends.
- Interpret internal/external business issues and recommend best practices and/or process improvements. Participate in Industry associations.
- Leads teams, acts as a facilitator and experienced mentor. Develop innovative services, technologies, & make recommendations with respect to current and future customer & stakeholder needs. Make presentations to regulatory/public entities.
- Experienced mentor to engineers in substation design and engineering development. Manages and provides direction for resources outside of the department.
- Design systems to resolve highly complex problems in non-std situations & develop creative solutions that achieve division results. Independently apply design standards, industry codes, design criteria, guidelines & AVANGRID polices/procedures.
- Has depth & breath of knowledge & interprets processes and standards related to substation engineering. Recommends solutions and best practices where appropriate. Represents Process and Technologies on projects, task forces and studies.
Recognized expert for disciplines of extreme importance to AVANGRID including following disciplines:
- Basic Layouts and general substation concepts
- Substation siting analysis
- Bus Work
- Electrical Studies: Insulation Coordination, grounding, lightning.
- AC/DC and station service design
- Mechanical services: HVAC, Alarms, fire, noise studies
- Construction specifications
- GIS Station design
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
- Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from an ABET accredited college/university,
- 6+ years’ experience performing engineering duties,
- Specialized advanced training is also required or graduate level engineering degree,
- Possess a depth and breadth of experience in electric transmission or distribution standards engineering and knowledge of internal/external business and regulatory issues,
- Recognized as an expert in own area within the organization and industry,
- Maintains knowledge of leading-edge techniques or technology through participation in professional Associations,
- A Professional Engineering license from the State of Connecticut, New York or Maine is preferred
- Able to communicate orally or in writing to regulatory and/or public entities,
- Able to lead a Team or mentor others.
About the Company
AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Monday, November 29, 2021