Senior Engineer- Protection & Control
- Binghamton, NY
Avangrid is seeking a Senior Engineer- Protection & Control to join their team in their Binghamton, NY location.
The Rating and Modeling Engineer is responsible oversight and validate, transmission line impedances calculation and thermal rating calculations process on the main elements for medium and high voltage transmission facilities in New York, Main and Connecticut. For new and modified facilities should act as the verifier to ensure the line impedance and CT-Relays ratings information is complete and aligned with Avangrid TM, review coordination studies and network modeling, review existing conditions and address discrepancies to comply with NERC FAC-008 and PRC-027.
Major Roles and Responsibilities
- Review and validate CT, secondary circuits and relays thermal ratings are according Avangrid methodology, ensure different documents are align with the CT rating (Aspen One-liner, Aspen Relay database, relay settings) provide guidance to address inconsistencies.
- Propose improvements to the rating calculation methodology and take the lead in implementing them.
- Update and maintain short circuit modeling Avangrid’s database with reliable information for compliance and modeling process.
- Training and oversight of contractors performing the walkdown of substations to capture the existing ratings on Avangrid assets.
- Coordinate contractors to optimize the site visits in order to meet schedule.
- Oversight the drawing update process. Ensure all modifications and new documents created during site verifications are captured on record drawings according Avangrid procedures.
- Provides linkage between the Initiator (Project) and the Approver (System Planning) in order to deliver projects according schedule.
- Coordinate with the Projects on the delivery of ratings calculations in accordance to schedule and project needs.
- Evaluate accuracy of calculations and ensure equipment capabilities meet requirements.
- Review rating calculus from contractors and projects, provide guidance address inconsistencies, and ensure and harmonize deliverables from site verification and projects.
- Act as the rating SME for support to Transmission Planning and Operations. Conduct training for others to better understand the ratings modeling process.
- Provides technical advice to senior management when required.
- May participate or represent the company in regulatory or public proceedings with NERC, NPCCC, ISO.
Education & Experience Required:
- 3 years of experience in Engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with transmission lines plan and profile
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations
- Experience with ASPEN transmission line and short circuit modeling
- Aspen Relay Database
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Monday, November 29, 2021