Principal Engineer- Protection and Control
- Augusta, ME
Avangrid is seeking a Principal Engineer- Protection and Control to join their team in their Augusta, ME location.
The Engineer will have a central role in developing substation standards for AVANGRID. Write engineering and construction specifications, create and maintain design libraries for substations including specifications and bill of materials. Work independently with only administrative and general direction from supervision. Develop a strong technical knowledge base to serve as technical advisor (SME) for substation design. Follow updates in research and developments taking place in the power industry, through training and industry associations. The engineer will lead teams/projects that solve complex substation equipment/design problems taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. Able to work independently with guidance on only the most complex tasks. Participates and represents AVANGRID on Industry associations. Mentor other employees.
- Engineering Review, Process Management and Project Management
- Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering calculations and analysis.
- Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
- Review and approve work of internal engineers and engineering contractors who provide protection engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system automation & integration roles.
- Review of large customer interconnections and distributed energy resource interconnections to substations, transmission circuits and distribution circuits.
- Engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
- Design and maintenance of distribution protection systems existing outside of substations.
- Development of technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders.
- Ensure efficient use of funds.
- Serve as mentor in the technical development of engineers and cross-department employees.
- Represent the company on regional and national committees. Represent the company on Joint Utilities Interconnection Working Group in NY.
- Communicate with and act as a company witness to state regulatory bodies.
- Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification.
Education & Experience Required:
- 15 years of experience in Engineering and 10 years of experience in Protection & Control.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of equipment protection.
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Knowledge of IEEE-1584
- Knowledge of Connecticut, Maine, and New York state regulations.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
About the Company
AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Monday, November 29, 2021