San Joaquin Valley College
- Remote, CA
Full-Time, Remote Contract
Immediate - March 2021
Possibility of contract extension
About San Joaquin Valley College
San Joaquin Valley College prepares graduates for professional success by offering Baccalaureate and Associate of Science Degrees and Certificates of Completion in business, medical and technical career fields. The College serves a diverse student population with a common interest in professional development through career-focused higher education. The College is committed to student development through the achievement of measurable learning outcomes, emphasizing a balance of hands-on training and academic instruction. The College identifies and responds to the educational and employment needs of the communities it serves. The College is committed to the success of every student.
Under the immediate supervision of the Curriculum Specialist, the Content Designer is responsible for applying pedagogical concepts within the college’s learning management system. The Content Designer will work with subject matter experts (SMEs) to create high-quality resources that support instruction and promote student learning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Content Designer works alongside of the content design team comprised of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), leaders, and the Curriculum Specialist.
- Operates within a course production framework to allow for long-term sustainability
- Creates content to support institutional projects as assigned and when adhering to project memorandum of understanding (MOU)
- Adjusts to changes in technology, student/faculty expectations, pedagogy, new curriculum, maintenance and improvement
- Delivers content per a program/course development schedule and budget to meet the needs of the institution
- Follows an institutionally designated design model that reflects best practices in the delivery of higher education programs
- Prepares the components of a course when assigned including an overview, syllabus, learning outcomes, course content, proficiency assessments, and interactive activities
- Incorporates academic quality, rigor, authentic learning, assessment of student learning outcomes and plans for ongoing continuous improvement
- Participates as needed in regularly scheduled program reviews.
- Builds courses within the institution’s designated learning management system (LMS)
- Collaborates with faculty SMEs to ensure the integrity, understanding and full support of course learning outcomes, assignments, and activities are met
- Performs other duties as assigned
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability – Responds to change with a willingness and ability to learn new ways of working. Adapts approach and demeanor in real-time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Communication – Develops and delivers communication that conveys a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. Listens to others and allows them to make their point.
- Integrity & Ethics – Demonstrates personal integrity; serves as a positive example of why others should trust the motives of the organization; views self as a reflection of the organization by following through on commitments and accepting ownership of mistakes; treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others and upholds organizational values.
- Organization Support – Supports organizations goals and values. Is keenly aware of the time frame in which tasks or projects needs to be done; accepts and mirrors the level of urgency conveyed by the manager or customer being served; puts first priority on the needs of the organization or the needs of its customers. Fosters collaboration and teamwork across the Institution.
- Professionalism – Approaches other in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments.
- Critical Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands the organization’s strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason, even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Quality of Work - Establishes a track record of producing work that is highly accurate, demonstrates attention to detail, and reflects well on the organization; is personally committed to high-quality work and encourages others to have similar standards.
- Training & Development - Ensures staff members get receive orientation, training and development opportunities to maximize success in their assignments; views training and development as an investment in employees and uses mentoring, cross-functional assignments, job rotation or other on-the-job learning opportunities to enhance the depth and breadth of skills and experience; encourage self-development opportunities.
- Management Excellence - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for employee’s activities; is accessible to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops employee’s skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies employee and student feedback; fosters quality focus in others; improves processes; continually works to improve supervisory skills. Aligns work with strategic goals.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience – Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years in an academic environment
- Language Skills – Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos; ability to write correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to students and employees.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook, and have extensive knowledge of multimedia production and LMS function.
- An understanding of higher education, to include an understanding of basic business management concepts and insight into the blended learning environment
- Experience and knowledge in the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of technical content
Monday, November 16, 2020