Content Production Editor
- Remote, NC, United States
Remote or Asheville, NC
Are you a word nerd? Do you delight in spotting grammatical errors on restaurant signs, grocery store weeklies, and in emails from your friends? Are you eager to learn the latest style updates from APA, Chicago, and MLA? If so, we want to talk to you about joining the Production team at Soomo!
The Production team at Soomo engages in a rigorous, multi-stage loading, editing, and proofing process to prepare all content for publication in our courseware. Our thorough production processes are essential to providing a smooth learning experience for the busy students who rely on our courseware. The Content Production Editor works closely with other members of the Production team to edit instructional content and ensure it is as clear and accurate as possible.
- Assisting with the editing, production, and publication of college learning resources
- Editing webtext content, including text, tables, charts, figures, and embedded video to ensure clarity, accuracy, readability, and integrity of content while maintaining conformity to Soomo editorial policies, accessibility standards, and required style standards such as APA, Chicago, or Turabian
- Coordinating with development editors and editorial management to revise content as necessary
- Preparing all content for publication in Soomo’s courseware
- Proofing and participating in other content checks to ensure quality and integrity of webtext prior to publication
This is an entry-level, full-time position in a small, collegial company. Because we are still nimble and constantly innovating, our daily work varies and we are learning more every term about how to better support students. The one thing that doesn’t change is our commitment to radically improving the college course experience for tens of thousands of students each year.
The following skills and attributes are highly desired:
- BA degree in English, Communication, or other writing intensive discipline
- 2+ years' experience in copyediting or other writing/editing for a general audience
- Strong copyediting skills with experience conforming to editorial and style standards
- A sense of what makes writing engaging as well as academically rigorous
- Demonstrated ability to produce error-free work in fast-paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong technical skills using software such as Word, Pages, and Excel and some familiarity with HTML
- A willingness to learn new technologies and incorporate new skills and knowledge into daily work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A willingness to ask questions
Because we create and support web applications, we use numerous apps in our development process, and a certain amount of familiarity with modern web technology is assumed.
Bonus points if you have:
- Insight into where students struggle in intro courses, why they struggle, and ideas for how to help
- Familiarity with Mac computers
- Familiarity with Slack, Jira, MS Word, Google Docs, and other business applications
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience ($21-$25 per hour)
- Three weeks of paid time off per year plus 10 paid holidays
- 100% employer paid health, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- 401K plan with 4% match
- Work from home one day a week (fully remote until at least January)
- Fantastic office space with mountain/city views, easy parking, and great snacks
Thursday, July 16, 2020
$21 - $25 /hr