- Remote, Remote
This role is eligible to work from home from Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia, India, U.S., Vietnam, or Zambia.
The eLearning Specialist supports Orbis’s goal of ending avoidable blindness by creating digital learning content for health care professionals to improve their knowledge and skills to detect, diagnose and treat blinding eye conditions.
The eLearning Specialist is responsible for the hands-on technical construction, implementation, and maintenance of online courses for eye health professionals delivered through Orbis’s Cybersight platform. This includes oversight and day-to-day management of an existing Learning Management System (Absorb) with more than 40,000 users and a collection of 20+ custom courses.
This is a new role within Orbis and sits within the Telehealth team, part of the global program department. The successful candidate must be able to use adult education/instructional design theories and appropriate technologies to create engaging courses for eye professionals around the world, the majority of whom are in low- and middle-income settings. This position will also act as a thought leader within Orbis on emerging design, development and implementation strategies and tactics for distance medical education.
The Telehealth team is responsible for technology support of Orbis programs, which includes the telemedicine and online learning platform, Cybersight.
The team focuses on integrating Cybersight with Orbis programs across the world and works together to expand Orbis’s clinical, educational and technology initiatives while developing long-term relationships with physicians, telehealth-partnering hospitals, educators, and IT & communications specialists. The team also closely monitors trends and new innovations in the healthcare technology and public health space that should be nurtured in order to revolutionize practice in the low-resource settings we serve.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The eLearning Specialist reports to the Global Program Specialist. This position works closely with the Telehealth team, the Clinical Services team, Orbis colleagues around the world and directly engages with learners who use our services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Lead the construction of new online courses, working with a cross-disciplinary team of program staff, trainers, medical experts, medical illustrators and video editors
- Manage the upkeep, review and refresh of existing online courses and related content
- Perform technical maintenance and troubleshooting of course content and the LMS
- Establish standards (platforms, technologies) that help Orbis be a global leader in the delivery of distance medical education in the communities we serve
- Support the development and delivery of hybrid in-person and online training programs
- Develop and implement innovative ways of evaluating knowledge transfer to learners
- Facilitate live and recorded training (e.g. lectures)
- Create and implement training for Orbis staff on how to use the LMS (building curricula, running reports, viewing learner transcripts)
- Implement reporting mechanisms that help Orbis evaluate the uptake, output and outcomes of its distance education programs
- Collaborate on surveying the needs from learners and sharing this feedback to be actioned as appropriate
- Analyze course enrollments and completion rates and implement strategies to increase both and monitor for learners’ progress and utilization
- Act as Tier 2 support for learners needing support to access or complete courses
- Be responsible for our LMS platform and vendor relationship, maintaining awareness of the marketplace and new/emerging platforms
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in training, communications, adult education/ instructional design or information and communications technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in multimedia authoring software and creation of interactive content
- Experience working in medical education preferred (experience in ophthalmology would be ideal)
- 3-5 years experience working with Learning Management System platforms as a developer or administrator (and ideally a combination of both), including end-user support
- Experience with HTML, image, audio, and video editing
- Knowledge of and experience with e-learning content standards (e.g. SCORM, xAPI)
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Genuine interest in public health and “technology for good”
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written); the ability to interact and collaborate effectively with people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Strong organizational & planning skills with keen attention to detail: ability to handle multiple tasks and details efficiently while meeting deadlines.
- Fluency in other languages is desirable
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and exercise independent judgement regarding operational decisions, processes or systems.
- Ability to travel occasionally, including travel to and within developing countries.
Monday, April 5, 2021