Sr. Scientist Materials Science - Coatings
Thomas Brooke International
- Anoka, MN, United States
- Brand-new global Advanced Technology Center currently being established
- Help lead development of new coating materials, coating processes and equipment for the ophthalmic industry. Coatings include wet chemical and physical vapor deposition methods and materials.
- Hands-on role, with technical project leadership; lots of opportunity for growth with potential for team leadership
Specific activities and responsibilities
- Lead efforts in implementing new wet chemical coating processes and/or materials for improved lens performance and/or functionality. Typical coatings include organic siloxane and sol-gel based chemistries.
- Lead efforts in developing new physical vapor deposition processes and coatings structures. Particular emphasis on optical modeling and design of coatings.
- Work in lab as an individual contributor conducting experiments and/or as member of team of scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Support overseas production facilities in implementation of new processes.
- Assemble updates for technical review by peers and management.
- Contribute to preparation of project level updates to management, in partnership with project management team.
- Review current literature and patents to determine new possible paths of exploration.
- Collaborate with international team of researchers, project managers, and category management as part of new product development process.
- M.S. or PhD in technical or engineering field - preference = Materials Science or Applied Physics background or relevant work experience in areas of optics, coatings, and polymer physics.
- 5+ years of work experience – must include meaningful industrial experience not purely academic
- Demonstrated experience in coatings including wet coating processes (dip coating, spray, slot die) and/or physical vapor deposition (electron beam evaporation, sputtering).
- Excellent working knowledge of a wide range of materials characterization tools such as SEM, DMA, DSC, Raman Spectroscopy, Spectroscopic Ellipsometry, and other advanced techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in management of development projects/programs
- Experience in new product development (stage gate process preferred)
- Experience in transitioning of product from development into production and ongoing support.
- Ability to travel up to 15% (national and international)
- Excellent communication and reporting skills are critical
- Experience with Minitab
- Experience in measurement and interpretation of basic rheological data for coating fluids
- Experience in fabrication processes such as photo and imprint lithography
- Ability to communicate in Japanese
- Experience in DOE methodology for process optimization.
- Experience in modeling of optical thin films preferred.
- Experience in analytical modeling, for example mechanical and/or thermal properties, fluid mechanics in relation to coating processes.
Matlab experience preferred
Thursday, October 3, 2019