We are working with a Technology Systems Consulting firm that is seeking a Security Designer to join their team. Primarily responsible for the Security Designer is to provide effective physical security consulting services and project management focused on project success and client satisfaction. This includes video surveillance, access controls, alarm systems and other building security systems.
The Security Designer should have a good understanding of security design practices and the ability to utilize that expertise to coordinate with the client and design team. The candidate must have the ability to develop and coordinate the appropriate design solution to meet the client’s needs within the budget provided. The Security Designer will ideally be able to fill the role of a security design subject matter expert and be a technical resource for our client company. The candidate will also be cross trained in other technology disciplines such as Communications Cabling, Audio-Visual, Electrical, Smart Building, Cellular DAS and Wi-Fi systems.
1. Responsible for design implementation of security design projects.
2. Prepare design drawings and written specifications. You will need to be able to accurately select specific component part numbers and products and identify the contractor’s scope of work in as much detail as possible.
3. Establishing construction, manufacturing or installation standards or specifications by performing a wide range of detailed calculations.
4. Perform engineering tasks by operating computer assisted design (CAD and/or Revit).
5. Coordination with architects, owners, engineers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering products to enhance project design.
6. Ensuring that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements by preparing technology systems specifications, technical drawings or reports.
7. Ensuring compliance with specifications, codes, or customer requirements by directing or coordinating installation, manufacturing, construction, maintenance, documentation, support or testing activities.
8. Writing reports, compiling data and preparing drawings as they regard to existing and potential project design.
9. Communicate design decisions through drawings, page-turns and reports, as required by the project teams.
10. Estimating technology costs for budget preparation.
11. Working with a variety of designers, drafters and subject matter experts within the organization as well as outside project team members.
12. Work to obtain new client relationships and projects
13. Work directly with the team members to communicate the project needs, owner requirements, etc.
14. Work with team members to coordinate timelines and deliverables.
15. Attend construction meetings and document field issues, prepare sketches, meeting minutes and other documentation related to the construction phase. Management of contractors and field coordination with installation staff will be required with the documentation follow-up outlined in the company standards.
16. Be the point of contact with the client, architects and owners. This includes needs assessments, design option presentations, design sign-off and managing their expectations for optimal client service.
17. Responsible for observing and documenting all existing site information via written report, digital photos and field measurements. You will perform project site visits to inspect construction progress and create and manage project punch lists and on-site construction progress status reports.
18. Perform post-project lessons learned evaluations and identify positive results and ideas and processes that can be improved upon.
19. Review and approve shop-drawing submittals from manufacturers and contractors.
20. Work with the accounting team on contracts, billing and financial issues.
21. National and international travel may be required, depending on project location.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SECURITY DESIGNER:
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school. PSP or similar accreditation is not required but preferred.
2. Knowledge of applicable codes and standards related to design specialty.
3. Software skills with Word, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint. Microsoft Project, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Outlook, AutoCAD and Revit is preferred.
PROJECT TYPES THAT THE SECURITY DESIGNER WILL WORK ON:
1. Commercial Office Space
2. Campus Infrastructure
3. Mission Critical Data Center Facilities
4. Colocation Data Centers
5. Hotel, Residential Condominium and Senior Living Facilities
6. Educational Facilities
7. Retail Sales Locations
8. Existing facility system analysis, report and presentation