Assistant Controller for large consistently growing food retail company
Vertical Careers, Inc.
- Carson, CA
The Assistant Controller is responsible for managing their direct reports to ensure timely, accurate, and efficient completion of assigned functions including but not limited to:
- Cash management – weekly cash reconciliations and journal entries, establishing deposits in-transit, accounting for deposit discrepancies, credit card chargebacks, and outstanding check tracking. Assist treasury team with cash forecasting.
- Accounts receivable – maintaining customer house charge accounts, vendor receivable billing, and recording of related revenue entries. Manage collections activity and providing KPI’s. Perform monthly bad debt aging analysis and reporting to key members of the organization regarding collections status.
- Fixed assets – identifying, classifying, importing assets into the subledger, running depreciation, transferring, and disposing of assets. Maintenance of monthly fixed asset roll-forward, capital expenditure to budget reporting, and periodically collaborating with Asset Management to inventory and tag fixed assets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage month-end financial close including maintaining closing calendar, communication within organization of key timelines, and reviewing/posting journal entries from staff in accordance with GAAP. Light journal entry assignments including confidential payroll entries.
- Review gross margins and P&L in conjuction with month-end closing. Should be prepared to research, explain trends and variances, and prepare monthly variance analysis.
- Review intra-company managerial reporting package for distribution. Modify or create new reports in report writing application as needed, in addition to any ad-hoc requests.
- Ensure general ledger account reconciliations are completed timely by staff and subsequently reviewed.
- Confirm compliance with all required governmental agencies including filing periodic sales tax returns, renewing business licenses & permits, timely payment of real property taxes in accordance with leases, and reviewing 571-L business property returns.
- Prepare monthly rent run in accordance with leases. Review periodic CAM and tax reconciliations from landlords.
- Coordinate scheduling and communicate timing of all inventories across the organization. Analyze results for reasonableness and research and explain unexpected fluctuations.
- Key participant in system implementations, upgrades, and cross-company projects.
- Support job duties of subordinates by coordinating back-filling of time off requests as needed.
- Lead contributor in delegating and delivering year-end audit schedules including interaction with external auditors in answering questions.
- Identify and implement process improvements to current department workflows and ensure balance in workload assignments among team members. Ensure team development by orchestrating cross-training among the staff.
- Adhere to Company’s Financial Integrity Policy and maintain financial security and confidentiality by following internal controls.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field with Master's degree a plus
- CPA is strongly preferred with public accounting experience(Big4 or Tier 2 firms) coupled with private sector experience. Open to Straight public accounting background as well
- 8+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience preferably within Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Manufacturing/Distribution, 3PL/Warehousing, Hospitality/Retail/Restaurant, Industries with Inventory, etc
- Strong MS Office skills (Power Point, Excel and Word) is required
- Highly collaborative with the ability to work in a team environment
- Can lead the accounting team and build credibility with the senior executive team
- Adept in the management of change, with the ability to diagnose problems, build relationships internally and externally, set a leadership agenda, and implement solutions
Thursday, September 23, 2021
Market Pay + Bonus DOE