Join a small, fast-growing, Boston-based software startup that is helping to fight climate change by improving the energy efficiency of homes across the country!
This company has had tremendous success selling energy-efficient solutions to the residential new construction sector. Our solutions are used on 75% of new certified energy-efficient homes in the US - about 300,000 homes each year. We are now looking to leverage our success and market penetration to grow ASP and penetrate other market sectors.
We’re looking for…A business development leader that will define, validate and launch the company growth strategy.
Additional Job Information to note:
Is there additional variable compensation?
Yes: probably $50,000 - $100,000
There is a possibility for sponsorship.
Work hours are flexible.
This position has direct reports.
What are the nice-to-have skills?
1. Cross-domain collaboration experience with engineering, sales and marketing teams
2. Some engineering experience
3. Experience in at least two of the following:
Home building market, Home design or construction software market, Energy-efficiency or utility software markets, Construction vendors market, SaaS businesses model, Building a marketplace, Data analysis business
4. Passion for energy efficiency
Are workday hours fixed or flexible?
Is employment sponsorship available for non-US citizens?
What benefits does your company offer?
401K Medical with an HRA (where company covers most of the deductible) Dental Disability plan Flexible Spending Account Commuter benefits
Is there any equity associated with this position?
Is relocation assistance offered?
Yes: This is negotiable
Is there a minimum education requirement?
What are 3-4 non-negotiable requirements for the position?
1. Skills and experience at analyzing, defining and executing a growth plan - scaling a business or department 10x to over $10M
2. Start up experience
3. 4+ years at BD leadership roles (defining product strategy)
4. At least 4 years working with software technology
What are the nice-to-have skills for this position?
Data driven mindset Cross-domain collaboration experience with engineering, sales and marketing teams Some engineering experience
Experience in at least two of the following:
* Home building market
* Home design or construction software market,
* Energy-efficiency or utility software markets
* Construction vendors market
* SaaS businesses model
* Building a marketplace
* Data analysis business Passion for energy efficiency
What soft skills are important in a candidate?
Leadership, Written and verbal communication, Critical thinking, Teamwork
Is travel required?
How would you describe the company culture?
The company grew by over 80% YoY in the last 4 years (including more than doubling in the last year) The company is profitable and took low investment to-date so good potential for a meaningful exit While the company is pretty small - it has a huge environmental impact - about 75% of energy-efficient homes (and 1 in 5 total US homes) are using its technology as well as close to 40 utilities CEO promotes "ownership" culture. Employees get associated with success stories Employees rarely leave the company.
What is involved in the hiring process?
1. Pre-screen interview with CEO - 20-30 minute phone call to “feel” cultural fit, ask a few clarifying questions about the musts and discuss next steps
2. Initial interview - 60 minute interview with CEO - Explain about the company, Check for fit - cultural, experience, mind set
3. HR call
4. Call with leadership
5. Potentially a short call with 1-2 team members
6. Plan buildup - a call where the candidate discussed with management his/her BD plan
7. Call with one board member
8. Reference Check
Why is this position open?
Where does the position fit within the organization?
This person will report to CEO and will have huge visibility and influence